MicroPro Sienna® Treated Wood products are pressure treated with MicroPro® Micronized Copper Azole (MCA) to protect the wood against fungal decay and termite attack. The main ingredient in the preservative system is copper, which has long been known as an effective wood preservative. MicroPro Sienna uses micronized copper coupled with micronized tebuconazole for long-term protection of wood exposed in exterior applications.
Follow the safe practices listed below when working with MicroPro Sienna or any other treated wood product:
- Do not burn treated wood.
- Wear a dust mask and goggles when cutting or sanding wood.
- Wear gloves when working with wood.
- Some preservative and/or pigment colour may migrate from the treated wood into soil, water or other surfaces such as concrete products. It may also dislodge from the treated wood surface upon contact with skin. Wash exposed skin areas thoroughly.
- All sawdust and construction debris should be cleaned up and disposed of after construction.
- Wash work clothes separately from other household clothing before reuse.
- Treated wood should not be used where it may come into direct or indirect contact with drinking water, except for uses involving incidental contact such as freshwater docks and bridges.
- Do not use treated wood under circumstances where the preservative may become a component of food, animal feed, or beehives.
- Do not use treated wood as mulch.
- Only treated wood that is visibly clean and free of surface residue should be used.
- If the wood is to be used in an interior application and becomes wet during construction, it should be allowed to dry before being covered or enclosed.
- Projects should be designed and installed in accordance with federal, provincial, and local building codes and ordinances governing construction in your area.
- Users should dispose of treated wood scraps and cut offs in accordance with local, provincial and federal regulations.
- Use wood preservatives safely. Always read the label and product information before use.
Important Application Information
Cut ends / Field cuts – When building your outdoor project with pressure treated wood it is important to protect the cut ends, large drill holes, and other field cuts.
- For pressure treated timbers and for pressure treated wood used in ground contact applications, a brush on end-cut wood preservative is required at the time of construction on all saw cuts, large drill holes and other field cuts. Two applications of a copper naphthenate based end-cut preservative must be applied to the treated wood before it is installed. Follow the manufacturer’s directions for proper application.
- For pressure treated wood used in above ground applications, such as deck boards, railings, post tops or fence boards, a brush on end-cut wood preservative or Timber Specialties Cut-N-Seal® product should be applied to all saw cuts, large drill holes and other field cuts at the time of construction. Follow the manufacturer’s directions for proper application.
Fasteners – MicroPro Sienna treated with MicroPro technology exhibits corrosion rates on metal product similar to untreated wood. Use fasteners and hardware designed for exterior construction that are in compliance with the manufacturer’s recommendations and the building codes for their intended use. See Fastener and Hardware Information.
Aluminum – Aluminum building products may be placed in direct contact with MicroPro Sienna Treated Wood used for interior uses and Above Ground exterior applications, such as decks and fencing, where the wood is not exposed to frequent and prolonged wetting. MicroPro Sienna treated wood in direct contact with aluminum products should only be used in code compliant construction applications that provide proper water drainage and do not allow the wood to be exposed to, or remain in contact with a continual moisture source, standing water or water immersion, such as freshwater boat docks, hot tubs and swimming pools. In addition, MicroPro Sienna treated wood should not be encased, sealed, or wrapped with aluminum products where moisture or water can be trapped, so as to avoid pitting or other undesirable results. See Fastener and Hardware Information.
Appropriate usage – Above Ground treated wood should not be used in ground contact applications, as this can adversely affect the performance of the entire project. The appropriate usage is noted on the end tag attached to each piece of MicroPro Sienna Treated Wood.
Pilot holes – Drill pilot holes to minimize splitting especially when nailing or screwing near the edge or end of a board.
Covering / Enclosing – MicroPro Sienna treated wood should be allowed to properly dry before it is covered or enclosed with another building material, i.e., composite boards. Trapped moisture could lead to colour migration from MicroPro Sienna. Properly dry wood has a moisture content less than 19%. The moisture content of the wood can be checked with an electronic moisture meter.
Apply a weather-resistant finish – Any exposed wood, pressure treated or not, should be protected with a high quality water repellent or exterior stain to help reduce warping, checking, and splitting. The application of a clear water repellent will allow the colour of the wood to fade naturally over time. The addition of pigments or colour in a stain/finishing product help to protect the wood surface from UV damage and colour fading. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and label of the finishing product. Before you start, we recommend you apply the finishing product to a small exposed test area before finishing the entire project to insure it provides the intended result before proceeding. See Finishing for more information.
Mold growth – Mold growth can and does occur on the surface of many products, including untreated and treated wood, during prolonged surface exposure to excessive moisture conditions. To remove mold from the treated wood surface, wood should be allowed to dry. Typically, mild soap and water can be used to remove remaining surface mold.
Actual product colour may vary from colour shown in photos.
MicroPro Sienna Treated Wood products are produced by independently owned and operated wood preserving facilities.
MicroPro, MicroPro Sienna, and Cut-N-Seal are registered trademarks of Koppers Performance Chemicals Inc.