MicroPro Sienna® Treated Wood products are pressure treated with MicroPro Micronized Copper Azole. The main ingredient in the preservative system is copper, which has long been known as an effective wood preservative. MicroPro Sienna uses micronized copper coupled with micronized tebuconazole for long-term protection of wood exposed in exterior applications.
Safe Practices – When working with MicroPro Sienna or any other treated wood product:
- Wear a dust mask and goggles when cutting or sanding wood.
- Wear gloves when working with wood.
- Only treated wood that is visibly clean and free of surface residue should be used.
- Some preservative and/or pigment colour may migrate from the treated wood into soil, water or other surfaces. It may also dislodge from the treated wood surface upon contact with skin. Wash exposed skin areas thoroughly.
- Wash exposed skin areas thoroughly. Wash work clothes separately from other household clothing before reuse.
Cut ends / Field cuts – When building your outdoor project with pressure treated wood it is important to protect the cut ends, large drill holes, and other field cuts.
- For pressure treated timbers and for pressure treated wood used in ground contact applications, a brush on end-cut wood preservative is required at the time of construction on all saw cuts, large drill holes and other field cuts. Two applications of a copper naphthenate based end-cut preservative must be applied to the treated wood before it is installed. Follow the manufacturer’s directions for proper application.
- For pressure treated wood used in above ground applications, such as deck boards, railings, post tops or fence boards, a brush on end-cut wood preservative or Timber Specialties Cut-N-Seal® product should be applied to all saw cuts, large drill holes and other field cuts at the time of construction. Follow the manufacturer’s directions for proper application.
Fasteners – Wood treated with MicroPro technology exhibits corrosion rates on metal products similar to untreated wood. Use fasteners and hardware designed for exterior construction that are in compliance with the manufacturer’s recommendations and the building codes for their intended use. MicroPro Sienna Treated Wood products can be used in direct contact with aluminum building products in above ground applications where the wood is not exposed to frequent and prolonged wetting. See Fastener and Hardware Information.
Pilot holes – Drill pilot holes to minimize splitting especially when nailing or screwing near the edge or end of a board.
Deck board spacing – A spacing of 1/8th inch between deck boards on a finished deck will allow gaps for rain seepage and to sweep away surface debris, but is not usually wide enough to trap heels or chair legs, etc. Only if the wood has been dried for a long period of time can deck boards be spaced at 1/8th inch at the outset. In most cases, some of the water used in pressure treatment is still retained in the wood at the time of construction. The deck boards can be expected to shrink slightly in width as they dry, so many builders prefer to butt them tight together and allow drying and nature to create the spacing between them.
Mold growth – Mold growth can and does occur on the surface of many products, including untreated and treated wood, during prolonged surface exposure to excessive moisture conditions. To remove mold from the treated wood surface, wood should be allowed to dry. Typically, mild soap and water can be used to remove remaining surface mold.
- All sawdust and construction debris should be cleaned up and disposed of after construction.
- Do not burn treated wood.
- Do not use treated wood as mulch.
- Residential users may dispose of treated wood scraps and cut offs by ordinary trash collection or burial. Commercial and industrial users of treated wood should dispose of treated wood scraps and cut offs in accordance with local, provincial and federal regulations.
MicroPro Sienna Treated Wood products are produced by independently owned and operated wood preserving facilities.
MicroPro, MicroPro Sienna, and Cut-N-Seal are registered trademarks of Koppers Performance Chemicals Inc.